Impact of English language on Hindi

GAIL COELHO gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 23 00:32:47 UTC 1997

I've come across one reference to the influence of English on Hindi in
Bernard Comrie's 'The World's Major Languages' (published by Oxford
Univeristy Press in 1990), where Yamuna Kachru has an article on Hindi.
She says that usually relative clauses in Hindi are not constituents of
the main clause (e.g. jo ladka vahaa betha he vah mera bhai he), but
'under the influence of Persian and later, English, the relative clause is
sometimes positioned following the head noun' (e.g. vah ladka jo vahaa betha
he mera bhai he) (p. 488). She might be the one to contact for further
information -- I think she's at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Gail Coelho