Rig Veda, ta'ntra, nUl, and sUtra

Palaniappa at aol.com Palaniappa at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 14:25:31 UTC 1997

In a message dated 97-04-07 09:13:34 EDT, g.v.simson at easteur-orient.uio.no
(Georg von Simson) writes:

<< Patrick Olivelle wrote on 04-04-97:
 >We really do not know the type of loom that forms the basis of the
 >metaphor. It appears that the weaver was located not behind the warp (as in
 >modern hand-looms) but on the side where she (and it is mostly women!) can
 >pass the shuttle back and forth. I have seen one reference that speaks of a
 >pair of women weaving (can't think of the source); if so there may have
 >been two women on either side of the loom passing the shuttle back and
 >forth

 The two weaving women at the loom are mentioned in the year allegory of the
 Paushyaparvan of the Mahabharata (Mbh. 1.3.147,151,167,172).

Atharva Veda 10.8.42 also mentions a pair of maidens weaving. Whitney's
translation reads, " A certain pair of maidens, of diverse form, weave,
betaking themselves to it, the six-pegged web; the one draws forth the
threads (ta'ntu), the other sets [them]; they wrest not off (apa-vrj), they
go not to an end."

Regards.

S. Palaniappan