Nagarjuna in Vidarbha

Alan Sponberg sponberg at selway.umt.edu
Thu Apr 3 22:04:24 UTC 1997

I have been asked if I can provide any documentation for the tradition
holding that the Buddhist philosopher Naagaarjuna resided for some time in a
cave located on Ramtek Hill 30k north (or northeast) of Nagpur. I am
guessing that there is no archeological evidence to support this story, but
Bu-ston's History of Buddhism does locate Nagarjuna's birthplace in Vidarbha
so there may be some historical basis for the tradition. Can anyone provide
any further leads or references?

Many thanks in advance.
Alan Sponberg		Phone: 	406-243-2803
Professor of Asian 	       		406-243-2171 (dept. office)
Philosophy & Religion
Univerisity of Montana
Missoula, MT  59812   USA	E-Mail:   sponberg at selway.umt.edu