Q: Kannada words in a Greek play?

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 3 17:14:53 UTC 1997

Some further references and comments on the supposedly Indian language in
Pap. Ox. 413:

	L. D. Barnett, "The Alleged Kanarese Speeches in P. Oxy. 413,"
Journal of Egyptian Archaeology  12 (1926): 13-15. (Criticism of
Hultzsch's Kannada theory).

	P. Shivaprasad Rai, "Sariti: A 2000 year old  bilingual Tulu-Greek
play," International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics 14 (1985): 320-30.
(Unconvincing interpretation of the passages as Tulu.)

I have discussed this matter briefly in "Epigraphic Remains of Indian
Traders in Egypt," International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics 22
(1994): 7-16 (esp. 9-10) (revised and expanded version of article of
the same title in JAOS 111 [1991]: 731-6).  I came to the conclusion that
it is reasonably likely that the passages in question are a rough
imitation of some Dravidian language, but it is unlikely that it can be
identified more precisely than that.

Richard Salomon