Old Indologists reply to Preciado-Solis

KJKARTTU KJKARTTU at Elo.Helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 30 14:40:29 UTC 1996

>Date:          Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:11:02 BST
>From:          David Magier <magier at columbia.edu>
>To:            Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
>Subject:       Re: Old Indologists reply to Preciado-Solis
>
>Prof. Karttunen:
>When will WHO WAS WHO IN WESTERN INDOLOGY be published? I hope soon, as
>this seems an invaluable reference work.
>
>David Magier, Phd
>South Asia Librarian
>Columbia University
>
>Dr. Magier, and others interested:
I am afraid that the final publication of my collection will take some
times, still. I have worked on this as a kind of hobby and my main work
lies in other questions (mainly on Graeco-Indian relations). You must
wait some years for it, unfortunately. In the meantime, I am ready to
forward some information from it, like in the case of Preciado-Solis'
question, supposing that such requests do not become very frequent and
that they are only concerned with one or a few scholars. When the
collection is finished (I have just reached Macdonell in computerizing
my hand-written files), it will contain perhaps 900 pages. You see, not
only Indologists, but a lot of archaeologists, art historians, colonial
officers and missionaries working on Indian linguistics etc. have been
included.

Klaus Karttunen, Ph.D.
Department of Asian and African Studies
University of Helsinki