Scripts

gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 11 17:29:50 UTC 1996

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Srinivasan Pichumani wrote:

> So, parding your beggon, dear dominique of the very
> nice university, would you please translate this for me...
> you can send me e-mail if it is too embarrassing to
> write English on this list ;-)
>
> >>l'imperialisme anglo-saxon
>
> Aah!  I see a red flag here... Anglo-Saxon imperialism...
> thank heavens for that... otherwise, I wouldn't be writing
> here in this manner.

I agree with Srini in not being too sympathetic to the French cause. As a
matter of fact, both French and English represent imperialism to some of
us on this list. Given that the majority of the world's countries have had
to accept the fact that their own cultures and languages have been
superseded by various European ones -- French, English, Spanish, etc. -- I
dont see why the French cant now accept the fact that their language has
been superseded by English.

Gail Coelho.