About caramabhaavi-nimitta

NOZAWA Masanobu nozawa at la.numazu-ct.ac.jp
Thu Sep 5 04:23:48 UTC 1996

Yasuhiro Okazaki wrote:

>I encountered a strange concept,caramabhaava, pazcaadbhaava,
>caramabhaavinimitta or pazcaadbhaavinimitta. Uddyotakara uses such a
>concept in many cases, with the special reference to  saadhakatama
>(it is appeared in the discussion of pramaaNa) and the definition of
>karma...
>I wonder whether such a concept is Uddyotakara's original, and if it is
>not, I feel a hesitation to decide whether it is originated with
>VaizeSika tradition or not. If anyone find the same or similar concept
>in earlier VaizeSika or other School's works, or know any paper
>referring such a concept, please teach me.

Please refer to  my paper 'Nyaya-Vaishesika Gakuha niokeru atixaya no Gogi
(Meaning of atixaya in the Nyaaya Vaixesika School', (in Japanese)
Indotetsugaku Bukkyogaku (Hokkaido Journal of Indological and Buddhist
Studies) vol.9, 1994, on p.146.

NOZAWA Masanobu
Numazu College of Technology
3600 Ooka Numazu,  410 JAPAN