"Out of India"

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 28 13:13:17 UTC 1996

Hi,

>They give the results of cluster analysis and tree diagrams, as well
>as principal component results for craniometric, dental non-metric and
>cranial non-metric data. These three are not done on the same samples.

I gather from the above that some kind of principal component analysis has been
done on the skulls and teeth of some fossils. Could anyone please tell us what
went into the analysis exactly (what are the axes)?

Also, I would be grateful if the mechanisms of 'cluster analysis and tree
diagrams' were explained in everyday language, please. I think the courses in
Indology don't include statistical techniques yet! :-)

>I fail to see how anyone can conclude that there is a demagrphic break
>in Indus Valley between 1700 BCE and 800 BCE. Timagarha is closer to
>R37 than any of the three are to Mohenjodaro in craniometric analysis.

Then only can the above assertion be examined.

Thanks beforehand for your suggestions.

Bye,

Girish Beeharry