Q: Proto-Siva

witzel at husc3.harvard.edu witzel at husc3.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 20 03:06:37 UTC 1996

Q of N. Ganesan:
>>>   I read in many books on Hinduism that Siva is a late-comer to the
Hindu Pantheon. Initially, he was not invited for Yagnas, or
given sacrificial offerings.   .....<<<

The earliest, already Vedic (and unknown) piece of literary evidence on the
relative lateness and grudging acceptance of Shiva into the Pantheon, I
believe, is the following:

                    <How S'iva got his names>

The gods did not recognize Rudra who had gone to Heaven and walked
about, (shining) with the color of the sun. They said: "Who are you?"

"I am Rudra, I am Indra, I am Aaditya (the sun). I am the
deflector of all heavenly wrath."

They said: "Let us exclude him (from sacrifice)."

He shouted at them, screaming (ruvan). He advanced towards them.

They said: "Lord (bhavaan), you are the overlord of all this here."

Because he shouted at them, screaming (ruvan), this is the Rudraness of
Rudra (i.e. this is the origin of the name Rudra).

Because they said "Lord" (bhavaan), this is the origin of the name Bhava.

Because they said the whole (overlordhip, sarvam), this is the origin of
the name S'arva.

He became friendly (s'iva). This is the origin of the name S'iva.

He took pity (amrLata) on them. This is the origin of the name MrLa.

The gods said to him: "Yours is the supreme overlordship of the present
(bhava), the past (bhuuta), and the future (bhavya)."

He (the Adhvaryu priest) makes him (the sponsor of the ritual, yajamaana)
go to the overlordhip of all (this here).

(Katha Aranyaka 2.100:  literal -- not literary -- transl.)

If necessary, I can send the Skt. text as well.

MW.