Req: "dirty" words in Sanskrit

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Nov 3 11:14:13 UTC 1996

Bijoy Misra has a good point.  How do we know which expressions were felt
to be "dirty" and therefore were either used or avoided in different
contexts.  This reminds me of the word "sa.spa in Sanskrit which can mean
either grass or pubic hair.  In old Brahman Marathi usage, in order to
express something like "I don't lose anything, if such and such happens",
one would literally say "I don't lose my "saspa".  Now how do we know this
word was felt to be dirty?  At least to my Sanskrit teachers in Pune, the
word was felt to be so dirty, that even when Kalidasa uses it to mean
'grass', they changed Kalidasa's wording.  A case in point is Kalidasa's
expression from the second canto of Raghuvam"sa:

	gangaaprapaataantaviruu.dha"sa.spam
	gauriiguror gahvaram aavive"sa

Our teachers had altered the first line to replace the word "sa.spa with
the word t.r.na.
	This particular case raises some interesting possibilities.  For
example, when one reads the Sanskrit expression aham tvaam t.r.naaya
manye, it is now possible to see an extended meaning of the word t.r.na.

	All the best,
			Madhav Deshpande