Q: Westerners taking away manuscripts

jonathan.silk at wmich.edu jonathan.silk at wmich.edu
Mon May 20 22:27:38 UTC 1996

I have just read the note by Peter D. Banos in which he talks about forcing
sounds into another language -- with perhaps minimal sense.  I think Madhav
did not respond to this (but I was not strictly paying attention), but he
recalled stories of his childhood in Pathshala of interpreting Marathi
sentences according strictly to Panini to "prove" they were in fact Sanskrit.
Or, Madhav, have I screwed up the story?  (No doubt a fantastic and fun way
to familiarize oneself with the sutras).

JAS