re Kalanos the gymnosophist

c.j.oort at pi.net c.j.oort at pi.net
Wed May 8 18:23:15 UTC 1996

> [...]
>>Richards are the alpha and omega of literary criticism, while European
>>colleagues disregard them altogether.
>
> cjon> Dear Mr Zydenbos,
> cjon> I do'nt want to be a nit-picker, but because you mentioned
> cjon> F.R.Leavis I
> cjon> would like to comment about my experience of taking a
> cjon> degree in English (
> cjon> I'am a native speaker , however an American) at Leiden
> cjon> University in the
> cjon> '60's, Leavis was the cat's pyjamas as far as English
> cjon> literary theory was
> cjon> concerned, eventhough he wrote a very, sometimes
> cjon> grammatically, obscure
> cjon> English.  Perhaps you are too young to know the impact
> cjon> Leavis had on a
> cjon> generation of "English " European scholars.  This message
> cjon> only to underline
> cjon> that we must tread softly with our statements.
>
>I fear that your comment is not relevant. I did not refer to students in Europe
>who study ENGLISH and ENGLISH LITERARY THEORY, like you did -- in that
>particular context, it is perfectly understandable that Leavis has a role to
>play. European students of SANSKRIT may read about Dandin and Abhinavagupta,
>but to my knowledge nobody else does. And I wish to stress here that this has
>absolutely nothing to do with Abhinavagupta's qualities as a literary thinker,
>which I find noteworthy.
>
>I was thinking of people on mainland Europe who thought about literature in
>general, who developed theories of literature and who had absolutely no reason
>to be Anglocentric in the way our Indian colleagues tend to be (due not to any
>deliberation of their own, but due to historical linguistic reasons, which is
>my point). I did an exam in general literary theory at Utrecht in the mid '70s,
>and in class there was just a passing mention that Leavis existed. During my
>two years in Germany, nobody ever mentioned Leavis: he is just as much out of
>the picture as Abhinavagupta is, and basically for the same reason.
>
>I'm not aware that Leavis played any major role in thinking about literature
>in, say, Germany or Russia, nor in the Netherlands -- among those who did not
>study English as their main subject! This too is part of my point, which you
>apparently missed. Ask a Dutch scholar of Dutch literature what he thinks about
>Leavis or Richards; and then ask a native Kannada-speaking scholar of Kannada
>literature the same question. The glaring difference of response which you will
>see is not a debatable issue.
>
>Hence I do believe that my statement holds good. And, as I stated in an earlier
>message, many more parallel statements can be made concerning India, which are
>equally valid. In the quick transmission of ideas, in the development of
>schools of thought, and also in the initial predisposition of persons who are
>confronted with a new idea, the role of language can hardly be underestimated.

Dear Mr. Zydenbos,
I was surprised to read that my mild remarks resulted in a deluge of
criticism.  I am sure that the Russians could hardly have heard or even
read anything  written by Leavis - Germans, perhaps, because Leavis did
read German literary critics -Dr. Schuecking "The Sociology of Literary
Taste".
Where did this all begin?  Kalanos the gymnosophist to F.R. Leavis.  May I
end this digression from "true" Indology with a qoute form Leavis's "The
Common Pursuit".  In his
preface he comments on T.S. Eliot's book "The Function of Criticism"; "The
common pursuit of true judgement":that is how the critic should see his
business, and what it should be for him.   His perceptions and judgments
are his, or they are nothing;  but, whether or not he has consciously
addressed himself to co-operative labour, they are inevitably
collaborative.  Collaboration may take the form of disagreement, and one is
grateful to the critic whom one has found worth disagreeing with".
I, too, appreciate Abhinavagupta and Leavis is still being taught at, at least,
two universities in the Netherlands.
Nogmaals, hartelijke groeten,
Marianne Oort

C.J. Oort