crossbow

Martin Bemmann amuellen at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Mar 27 19:26:06 UTC 1996

Richard Saran wrote:
>I am interested in the use of the crossbow in South Asia before 1700.
>Can someone recall depictions of this weapon in painting or sculpture?

The crossbow was apparently used in China since the time of the >Warring
States< (5.-3. cent. BC). Triggers were found in the famouse grave of Ch'in
Shih-Huang-Ti (reign 221-210 B.C.). Now for South Asia: I have seen in
Pakistan a similar bronze trigger in the exhibitition halls of the Taxila
site museum, but I don't know whether it is published or not (I have not
Marshall's volumes at my hand now).

Martin Bemmann