Why not a definitive devnagri font

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Mar 21 12:58:39 UTC 1996

	The issue of being able to use Devanagari on a network like
Indology carries a possible assumption that one may not only be quoting
texts using this script, but that one may also wish to communicate by
using those languages like Hindi which use Devanagari as their normal
script.  While I see the merit of being able to communicate using Hindi
or Marathi for a certain group of users of those languages, Indology as a
group is well served by using means which are most widely available to
all participants.  Here we are interested in discussing issues related to
Indological matters, rather than present ourselves as users of specific
languages or scripts.  To this extent, I would rather like to see the use
of romanization continued.
	However, I agree with Dominik that a time has indeed come to
start using Indian scripts in our western journals and other
publications.  Even here, I have a feeling that we must make a
distinction between citations or editions of texts and non-western words
being discussed in a western language.  While the citations and editions
should preferably be in a native script such as Devanagari, individual
words being discussed should be romanized to make that discussion
accessible to a wider audience.
	Some recent publications have taken the question of script to
another possibility:  using both Devanagari and Roman transcriptions of
citations and texts side by side.  Bob Hueckstedt's book on 'iko yaN aci'
and Cardona's books have followed this pattern.  Personally I think this
leads to unnecessary prolixity and destroys too many trees.  Anyone who
can be presumed to read a book in English can be presumed to read
Romanized Sanskrit, or one can make a judicious (?) decision to leave all
textual citations in Nagari.  I do not see the need to put each citation
in both the scripts.
	Hope this is some food for thought.
		All the best,

				Madhav Deshpande