Why not a definitive devnagri font

aditya at icanect.net aditya at icanect.net
Mon Mar 18 23:04:10 UTC 1996

Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk>  has  recently written as
follows:

>No, no, you misunderstand.  I said *local* network.  This would only
>work on an internal Novell network, running MHS, for example.  Not over
>the internet.
I have tested i t to work on non-local network.
However, I have no personal agenda in pushing of Beyondmail or any
other product as such. It is just happens to be the only product that
did  allow me to transmit in Devnagri script and I am just too eager
to start communicating devnagri text.
>I'm sorry to have to repeat that the technical problems are much greater
I would like to know about other problems that make Msoft to provide
standard fonts in Arabic, Cyrilic and Japanese etc to the exclusion of
Devnagri alone.
>The MIME protocol is the best hope of transmitting richer text for the
>present, but even that is not widespread.  In the final analysis, too,
>any font work will rely on users at both ends using the same
>application software, or at least a shared operating system if the
>latter supports font display.  Such uniformity at the end-user level is
>impossible.  I, for example, have never used Windows (and never will, if
>I can avoid it).  Many people use Unix workstations.  So a Windows-based
>solution would be inadequate.  This situation is unfortunate, but
>perhaps when Unicode gets more widespread, we may see some progress.
That is a long term solution and we must push for it but windows is a
very widespread and easily accessible. Most of can have at least
secondary access to it  at relatively low price just to avail exchange
of data. BTW Beyond mail is also being developed for Apple
environment. What is does, is that it appends the font data at the end
of each message and if we know the fonts that were used to create a
text they can just be read back.
Whatever may be our personal preferences, it is indisputable that MS
has beat all the other system. In the market place it is not always
the best product that succeeds and I do not have to quote the
examples.
Have a nice day.
Aditya Mishra
http://www.icanect.net/~aditya
The opinions expressed herein are continually mutating and*
might have already been changed  by the time you read them*
owing to the more recent information that became available*