Right & Left

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 17 13:01:21 UTC 1996

Hi,

Something has been puzzling me for a long time and I wonder if anyone can
help me out.

Usually one comes across shlokas where the devi is placed at the left of the
deva; e.g. :-

niilaambujashyaamalakomalaN^gaM siitaa samaaropita vaama bhaagam.h |
paaNau mahaasaayaka chaaru chaapaM namaami raamaM raghuva.nshanaatham.h ||

and

dakshine lakshmaNo yasya vaame tu janakaatmajaa |
purato marutiryasya taM vande raghunandanam.h ||

However, at the start of the ba.Daa bandii mochana one finds :-

sadaa bhavaanii daahine sanmukha rahe.n gaNesha |
paa.ncha deva rakshaa kare.n brahma vishhNu mahesha |

Can someone please explain the difference? Many thanks beforehand.

bye,

Girish Beeharry

ps:- Thanks to the anonymous Khajuraho 'tagger' who brought the list back to
normal! :-)