Jains and Christians

Peter J. Claus pclaus at haywire.csuhayward.edu
Tue Jun 25 13:19:04 UTC 1996

You might try the Basel Mission records from coastal Karnataka (South
Canara).  There, too, there were many Jains (esp. in the towns of
Mudabidri and Karkala) and avid Christian (but Protestant) missionaries.
I don't know if there are any records of their views of Jains or whether
their views would reflect Christian missionaries generally, but you might
try.

Prof. Heidrun Breuckner at Teubingan University is better versed in what
the Basel Mission records contain than I.  There was an international
seminar (academic) of the Basel Mission in India (mostly KA and Ke)
several years back at Stutgart.  Perhaps one of the papers dealt with you
topic.  You could contact Peter Kapp (I think) at Heidleberg (I think)
for the titles of all the papers for that.

Sorry I can't be more precise: I'm about to leave on a 3 week vacation
and can't look up any of my data on these matters right now. But the two
individuals I mentioned are very knowledgeable.

Peter Claus