Gau.dapaada

Hrid at aol.com Hrid at aol.com
Sun Jul 28 14:31:24 UTC 1996

The Kaarikaa-s of Gau.dapaada are traditionally printed along with the text
of the Maa.n.duukya Upani.sad, though there is normally a clear distinction
in the text between the Kaarikaa-s from the Upani.sad proper. It has been
brought to my attention, however, that in his commentary on Brahma-suutra
text 1.1.1, Sripada Ramanuja cites Kaarikaa 1.16, prefacing the quote with
the words: jiivasyaiva hi nirodha.h 'sruuyate. Does this use of the word
'sruuyate necessarily mean that Ramanuja is giving to this quotation the
authority of sruti? Now, since Gau.dapaada is generally said to be a
precursor of the very Sankara, whom Ramanuja so strenuously opposed, it seems
odd that Ramanuja would quote Gau.dapaada with the words iti...'sruuyate.'
   Further, in his own commentary on Brahma-suutra 2.1.33,  Baladeva
Vidyaabhuu.sa.na, another prominent Vai.s.nava commentator, cites Kaarikaa
1.9, with the preface: iti maa.n.duukya-'srute.h.
   I have been told that although the last 3 sections of the kaarikaa-s are
uncontroversially the work of Gau.dapaada, there is some kind of dispute
regarding the first part.  My purpose here is to seek clarification from
scholars who know far more than I about this subject.  Thank you very much
for any help in this regard.
Howard Resnick
Sanskrit and Indian Studies
Harvard University