Field trip to India: HELP!

Gene Thursby gthursby at religion.ufl.edu
Sun Jan 28 02:53:52 UTC 1996

	With regard to old-fashioned, silver-based photography, my
experience in India (from time to time since 1968) matches most of what
was reported by Nancy {pp001460 at interramp.com} in response to the call
for HELP! from Beatrice.  Part of the exchange is repeated below.
	I've used the least-costly 33mm SLR Nikon equipment (2 Nikkormat
camera bodies, 1 manual and 1 semi-automatic) and a variety of Nikon
lenses -- including a quite good macro lens that gives very close focus.
At times I've used a release cable and portable copy stand.  Although the
stand is inconvenient to carry, it assures camera stability in low light
when copying items that cannot be permitted to be taken into bright light.
For very slow exposures, the reflecting mirror in the SLR camera can be
closed after correct focus and exposure is established. That further
reduces vibration during exposure of the film at very slow speeds.
	I rarely use color print film but have appreciated the stability
of Kodachrome 25 slide film -- which is very slow and best in sunlight.
	In major cities, when well advised, one can find very good photo
developing that will match professional quality nearly anywhere.  This is
all the more remarkable because the quality and quantity of available
water, chemical, and paper is uneven to say the least.  However, one MUST
be well advised about where to have film developed and printed.
	The advantage of local printing, of course, is to ensure that one
has got results that repay everyone's effort, time, and travel.  Digital,
rather than traditional silver-based photography, would free one from
dependence on local developing/printing professionals, or else from a
slightly worrisome wait until one is back at home).
	Finally, have you made arrangements in advance for permissions --
to see the documents, to move them, to photograph or otherwise copy them?
If not, begin at once to collect letters that will attest to your bona
fides, your purpose, etc.  Unless you (or your senior colleagues) are well
connected with the people who are responsible for the care of the MSS or
other materials, it is possible that you may have a long wait and may need
to go through many steps to achieve what you want -- or could fail to gain
access.  After all, in most instances, the owners, caretakers, etc., are
extending a significant courtesy when they allow foreigners to copy local
materials of interest.  Increasingly, the question is put explicitly:
"what are foreigners doing to enhance the local culture on which their
professional success depends?"  Please forgive the uninvited moralizing.
	Gene Thursby, University of Florida