Sankara Centenary?

vidya vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 25 21:15:20 UTC 1996

> (Motilal, 1994), I find a reference to "the celebration of the Twelfth
> Centenary of Sankara's birth" having occurred recently.  Does anyone know

This was in 1988, in accordance with the date of 788 AD as Sankara's
birth year. Many institutions like the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, the
Advaita Ashrama and the various RK mathas were involved. The Sringeri
Sankaracharya organized a tour that started from Kaladi in Kerala and
travelled through India reaching Kedar-Badri towards the end of the year.
A special postage stamp featuring Sankara's picture was also issued that
year.

S. Vidyasankar