Appearance of lunar digit on Nandaa

Somdev Vasudeva somdev.vasudeva at oriental-institute.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Feb 29 13:53:13 UTC 1996

A query regarding the appearance of the lunar digit on Nandaa, the first
tithi of the "suklapak.sa. I seem to remember that the first few digits of
the waxing moon in India form a lunar sickle which appears almost
horizontal to the horizon, resembling a smiling mouth (with which it is
often compared in kaavya lit.). Conversely, at the end of the waning
fortnight the lunar digit would resemble an unhappy face.
Here, (Oxford,UK) the sickle appears to slant strongly towards the upper
right. Since my acquaintance with astronomy is
infinitesimal, I would be very grateful for any information whether
this apparent angle is indeed related to latitude or not.

Somdev Vasudeva