earpieces

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Feb 29 17:25:54 UTC 1996

	The subject of male ear-rings in India is indeed very interesting
and important.  We indeed hear of KarNa in the Mahaabhaarata as
possessing divine Kavaca and KuNDalas.  In the 17th century Maharashtra,
there is clear evidence of ear-rings as being common for Brahman males.
They are given as gifts of honor by kings.  The Marathi word for it is
"bhikbaaLii".  Male Brahman children to this day have their ears
routinely pierced.  I myself have pierced ears, which were indeed useful
to me when I acted the roles of the kings Agnimitra and Dushyanta during
my college days in Pune, and I had to wear the royal ear-rings, along
with the rest of the costume.
	Madhav Deshpande