numerical value of devanagari

Anand Venkt Raman A.Raman at massey.ac.nz
Mon Feb 19 21:48:26 UTC 1996

Annette Wilke writes:

>Request: I am looking for detailed information on the numerical value
>of devanagari consonants. Bhaaskararaaya mentions a few examples such as pa
>meaning the number one and ra meaning the number two (pakaara

Here are four references that treat the subject at length:

Ifrah, G. From one tozero, Transl: Bair, L. New York, Viking Penguin
Inc, 1985.

Menninger, K. Number words and number symbols. Transl: Broneer, P,
MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1969.

Fleet, J.F. The Katapayadi system of expressing numbers, JRAS,
1911, 788-794.

Datta B. and Singh A.N. History of Hindu mathematics, Parts 1 & II,
Asia Publishing House, Bombay, 1962.

I have recently written a paper which discusses numerical
representations, especially the katapayadi formula to some extent.  I
would be glad to send you a copy if you like.

Hope this helps.

- &