None

Mittal Sushil mittals at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Apr 29 18:10:22 UTC 1996

I have been recently working a project provisionally entitled,
"Occidentalism: The World Turned Upside Down. A Study of North Indian
Hindu Men's Constructions of the West". It consists of an
ethnosociological study of how one group of contemporary North Indian
Hindu men construct (identify, describe, characterize, conceive, imagine,
generate, represent, explain) their distinct other, the Euro-American, in
diverse ways. This project is part of a larger ongoing effort to a
systematic study of how Hindu India has, over the centuries, formulated
its approaches to it's own dual cultural 'grammar', the familiar and the
other.

It became obvious to me in the course of my research that this is an area
in which not much has been published. I will therefore very much apppreciate
any references which deal with the topic (larger or shorter) and any
references that you are aware of which I must, in your opinion, be sure
not to overlook.

Thanks.

Sushil Mittal
International Institute of India Studies
1270 St-Jean
St-Hyacinthe, Quebec
Canada J2S 8M2

Tel (514) 771 0213, Fax (514) 771 2776, Email <mittals at ere.umontreal.ca>