Jyotishii Query (was: Re: Q: New Year)

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 19:17:10 UTC 1996

Hi,

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Yvette C. Rosser wrote:

> What is the significance of the of the North and South nodes of the moon?

They are not 'real' grahas but upagrahas. raahu is related to the outside
world, egocentric behaviour, dealings with the public and is linked to what
one is supposed to achieve in the present life. ketu is related to the inside
world, spirituality, secrets and is linked to the karma of previous lives.
Both are linked to tamas qualities. They are outside the 'graha varna'.

They are always at 180 degrees from each other, but that is obvious.

> How much emphasis or importance are they given in the Indian horoscope?

I don't know. They are not given any bala in the dR^shhTi calculations.
The raahu mahaadashaa is 18 years long while the ketu one is 7 years long.
Some people think that their influence is akin to mangala and shani. I think
ketu is linked to shani and raahu to mangala but I'm not sure.

You should perhaps consult a jyotisha; they may have a list somewhere! :-)
I suspect, however, that many are taken up with the upcoming polls in India...

Bye,

Girish Beeharry