Norse AEsir and Vedic Asura.

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Oct 26 17:15:13 UTC 1995

	Clearly the word Asura is originally not a privative form of
Sura, but derived as asu+ra.  Only in later times, the word Sura was
derived from the word Asura through reanalysis, when the word Asura
developed a largely negative meaning.
	In any case, it was my impression that while the word Deva has
Indo-European cognates, the word Asura/Ahura (iranian) does not go beyond
the common Indo-Iranian period.
	M. Deshpande