Meaning of Panini, also "saakalya

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Oct 19 17:11:23 UTC 1995

	I suppose there is a connection between Shaakalya and the place
name Shaakala or Sakala (Saagala in Pali: cf. Milindapanha).  However,
there is also evidence in the Aitareya AaraNyaka and texts like the
BrihadaaraNyaka Upanishad of the Shaakalyas residing in the eastern
region of Videha and Magadha.
	Madhav Deshpande