Gold

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Nov 13 14:54:33 UTC 1995

It is a common practice in India to take old ornaments to a gold-smith to
get new ones made out of the same mettle.  On such occasions, the
goldsmiths go through this process of "purification" of the gold to
remove impurities.  Secondly, the word "dhmaatam" is important.  One
needs to go to an Indian goldsmith and see how they blow a flame on to
the gold they are working with in order to shape and join little pieces.
However, this is different from the process of purification where they
place the gold in a container and heat it.  Of course these are modern
practices I have seen in Pune.
	Madhav Deshpande