the particle kila

Axel Michaels michaels at relwi.unibe.ch
Thu Nov 9 12:17:49 UTC 1995

On Tues, 07 Nov 95 21:00:44,
indology at liverpool.ac.uk  <indology at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

>Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:03:43 GMT
>Sender: indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk
>From: goodall at vax.ox.ac.uk
>To: Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
>Subject: the particle kila

If I remember well, there exists a dissertation by Ingeborg Ickler on
particles in the Upanishads in which a major part is on kila. However, due
to a lack of proper library facilities I cannot verify it. Perhaps somebody
else (Michael Witzel?) could check it?
Axel. M.

>Can anybody help me with the following question:
>how often does the particle kila occur at the beginning of a sentence in
>classical prose?  Speijer states that it is always enclitic and I noticed
>nothing about unusual word order in Emeneau's article on kila in the
>Indo-Iranian Journal.  The Petersburger Woerterbuch states that kila occurs
>rarely in first place and gives two Belegstellen---one from the Raamaaya.na
>and one from a prose passage in the Pa~ncatantra (in an aged edition which I
>have not yet tracked down)---but I feel these have little probative value.
>
>I believe there is another article on kila and other particles (?by van
>Daalen).  Does anybody happen to know where it was published?  Has anyone come
>across other instances of kila appearing as the first word in a sentence?  I
>would be most grateful for any help.
>
>Dominic Goodall.

Prof.Dr. Axel Michaels
Universit{t Bern
Institut f}r Religionswissenschaft
Lerchenweg 36
CH-3000 Bern 9
Tel.: (0041)(0)31 631 80 62, Fax.: (0041)(0)31 631 35 51