On opposite views

Kalyans at aol.com Kalyans at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 06:09:26 UTC 1995

I am re-reading Prof. S.S. Bhawe's work on soma. (Interest? Ancient Etyma!)

It contains a striking quote which may be of interest:

"While entering upon this task, I am reminded of Prof. A.B.Keith's remarks in
his review of Geldner's 'Der Rigveda im Ausahl' JRAS, Vol. XLII, 1910, p.292,
viz., "The Rigveda is on the whole a most difficult and obscure work, and
progress to its adequate interpretation must needs in large measure be
through careful enumeration and criticism of opposite views..."... The more
one thinks about it, the more one feels that in this case one may be 'rushing
in', where greater scholars have 'feared to tread'. The attempt, however, is
done with a view that better work should supplant it." (p.6, edn.1957)

Yours truly and most humbly, kalyans at aol.com

PS. I will refrain from quoting the vedic hymn inviting thoughts from all
sides.