True Type Punjabi Fonts

Mantra Corporation 0005614754 at mcimail.com
Sun Jan 8 22:13:00 UTC 1995

> Hello, my name is Narinderpal Singh Thethi. A month or so ago, I wrote
> to  Jack Schofield of the Guardian, asking him if he knew where I might
> be able  to purchase True Type Punjabi fonts. He did not know himself
> but gave me  your email address as another source to try.
> Do you know of any outlet that sells True Type Punjabi fonts?
> I look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
> Narinder at ocx.com

Namaste!
   Here is some information:

*** FORWARDED ARTICLE ***

From: singh at Sun.COM (Surinder Singh)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.punjab
Subject: Pbi Software(Fonts, Dictionary) etc.
Date: 2 Dec 1994 22:48:09 GMT

Few months ago there were some people asking about the availability of
Pbi Fonts and other software. The following should be of interest to
those people.

Surinder Singh

-----------------------

FIRST ENGLISH/PANJABI AND PANJABI/ENGLISH DICTIONARY
AVAILABLE ON A COMPUTER SYSTEM
==============================

Akal Systems is happy and proud to announce on the auspicious day of Guru
Nanak Dev Ji's 525th birthday the availability of "Panjabi Shabad Kosh"
which is a Panjabi to English and English to Panjabi dictionary for IBM
compatible computer systems running Windows.

The Panjabi Shabad Kosh has more than 23000 Panjabi and English words
each. Users can look for the meaning of a Panjabi or English word when
composing a document simply by clicking on the dictionary icon on the
computer screen, without having to grab a dictionary from the bookshelf.

"Over the years several computerized fonts and others products have been
developed by many well wishers of Panjabi and Gurmukhi alphabet. However,
there was a lack of Panjabi/English computerized dictionary. Akal Systems
has filled that need.

The program works on IBM compatible computers running Windows. It
requires AnandpurSahib Font which is a Gurmukhi font developed by Maboli
Systems of Virginia (USA). AnandpurSahib Font works with almost all word
processing packages on IBM compatible systems.

Efforts are underway to make Panjabi Shabad Kosh compatible with other
Gurmukhi fonts and make it available on the Macintosh computer in the
future. The product has a user-friendly interface and is very easy to
install. It works in the background and can be invoked anytime.

When a Panjabi word is entered, the Panjabi Shabad Kosh provides its
meaning in English along with its linguistic characterics, e.g., verb,
noun, adjective, etc. In addition, Shabad Kosh displays some phrases
starting with that word. Similalry if one enters a word in English in
the  dictionary mode, its meaning in Panjabi is displayed along with its
linguistic characterics and axamples of its usage. The product allows you
to build your own dictionary by allowing you to add or delete a world
from the dictionary.

This intensive project took three years and a lot of financial resources.
In the future Akal Systems plans to provide this product on Macintosh and
other computer platforms as well. The product sells for $?? (US).

Punjabi is spoken by almost 115 million people in the world. Almost all
the Punjabis in the Indian Punjab write Punjabi using Gurmukhi. The
Punjabis in Pakistan use Farsi letters to write Punjabi.

Akal Systems is based in Cupertino, California (USA) and is a major
supplier of other Punjabi/Gurmukhi computer programs and tools. It also
provides multi-media based Gurmukhi/Panjabi learning tools called Punjabi
Kaida,Punjabi Matra and Baal Bodh. For further information, you may
contact Akal Systems at (408) 996-9404 or send me e-mail.

Surinder Singh

*** END OF FORWARDED ARTICLE ***

*-=Om Shanti=-*  Jai Maharaj

                jai maharaj |_|_|_|_| mantra corporation
 jyotishi, vedic astrologer |_|   |_| vedic prediction sciences
     jaimaharaj at mcimail.com |_|_ _|_| telex 6505614754
          mci mail 561-4754 | | | | | voicemail +1 808 948 4357