"kaumudii"

s. kalyanaraman s._kalyanaraman at mail.asiandevbank.org
Wed Feb 22 14:48:17 UTC 1995

On kumuda and lilies:

Let me present a 'bhaashaa' perspective to the interesting, superb and lively
exchanges on this subject.

First, why is kumuda linked to yaagaa? Perhaps because, both close by day?

Second, if kumuda = white water lily is etymologically linkable with kuvala =
blue water lily, a fascinating link with Kurux language exists. kumbRu'uu =
half-open as a bud. Of course, Tamil kuvaLai is a blue nelumbo which also closes
by day.

Third, the metaphors in the various verses seem to refer to the full moon day of
As~vina-kaartikaa as suggested by Prof. Aklujkar and also to this characteristic
of the lily's closure by night and opening of the bud as it draws in the sun's
rays.

Fourth, another 'imaging' characteristic is absorbed semantically, for e.g.
Tamil kuuppu = joining palms in a lotus-like closure-posture to salute.

Thus, I suggest that kOvaL, kOhaL, kOmaLe of Kannada can be 'semantically
clustered' with Skt. Pali. kumuda, kaumudii as a classic example of semantic
expansion around the images of a lily and its bud's unique blossoming features.

Dr. S. Kalyanaraman.