"The enemy of the lotus"

Axel Michaels michaels at relwi.unibe.ch
Tue Feb 21 12:18:51 UTC 1995

On Mon, 20 Feb 95 19:21:53,
indology at liverpool.ac.uk  <indology at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

>Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 18:19:35 GMT
>Sender: indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk
>From: Dominik Wujastyk <dom at uclblr.iisc.ernet.in>
>To: Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
>Subject: "The enemy of the lotus"
>

>Has anyone come across a synonym for the sun (suurya, arka) which means
>"enemy or killer of the lotus", i.e., kumudhaghnii, kumudahan, etc.?
>This would be antithetical to the names for moonlight such as
>"kumuda-bandhu, k-suh.rt, kaumudii" etc.
>
>Also, does the lotus, kumuda, *really* blossom in the moonlight, as is
>implied by the common term "kaumudii"?
>
>Dominik

Dear Dominik,
I remember an article by Wilhelm Rau on Sanskrit terms of lotus published
in Festschrift Weller. Unfortunytely I do not have library facilities
to be more precise but perhaps somebody else can help you with exact
bibliographical data if necessary. Since Rau also studied botany he might
discuss questions which interest you.
Axel Michaels

Axel Michaels

Please note my new Adress: michaels at relwi.unibe.ch