AKSHARAM & LIVING SANSKRIT in Bangalore, India

s. kalyanaraman s._kalyanaraman at mail.asiandevbank.org
Tue Feb 21 08:28:52 UTC 1995

     This recent posting on India Discussion Digest may of interest. Happy
     reading! S. Kalyanaraman.

     Date: Fri, 17 FEB 95 9:41:41 EST
     From: SHAMASS at ml.wpafb.af.mil (Shamasundar)
     Subject: Sanskrit is the "language of future"

     So said, Dr. Padiyar, a former successful internist, who ran a
     thriving nursing home of his own till recently.  A scholar of sanskrit
     and vedic mathematics,Dr.S.N. Padiyar, gave up his career in medicine
     to join Aksharam, the Samskrita Vibhag of Hindu Seva Pratishtana,
     (Sanskrit Division of Hindu Service Foundation) as a full time
     voluntary worker.

     A THRILLING VISIT TO 'AKSHARAM'
     An urge to meet Dr. Padiyar made me to visit AKSHARAM, (**) a massive
     complex in Bangalore which is the hub of Sanskrit activities.  It
     houses a Research wing, Library, Adio-Visual lab, Staff
     Quarters...From A to Z it is Sanskrit. I was astonished to see kids
     (may be 5-6 years old) of the resident staffers not only speaking but
     also playing in Sanskrit.  In some corner of a libray I remember to
     have seen a picture of a Jewish Boy who spoke Hebrew after thousands
     of years.  And it was considered the turning point for Jewish /
     Hebrew cultural/linguistic traditions.  By that token, the revolution
     taking place at AKSHARAM is dramatic, eventful and magnificient.

     I spent 2 days in AKSHARAM and was greatly thrilled.  For a while I
     felt as if I was Captain Picard of Space Ship Enterprise (the Star
     Trek fame) on a time machnie which entered the time of Kalidasa and
     Bhasa.

     The young instructors (SEVAVRATI as they are called) are a bundle of
     energy. The scale of plannig seemed to me quite big. The preparations
     are very carefully being planned and excecuted. For example Chandamama
     ( the famous cartoon strip) now comes in Sanskrit, There is monthly
     light reading mag Sandesh, the type of which is unheard of in
     Sanskrit,  there are audio cassettes of nursary rimes and light
     sanskrit songs, very large number of books and instructional materials
     coming out almost every day.   They enact quick'street-plays' in a
     corner of busy shopping center.. the theme of the play range of
     political satire, and critic of contemporaty society....

     Currently, there is a massive 'Samskrita Abhiyana' going on in Kashi,
     where thousands of teachers have taken up a mission to teach the
     Sarala Samskrita to at least one hundred perons each.  The teachers
     are geeting trained for this arduous task. I just had the opportunity
     to wtiness the preparations for the teachers training camp. But, was
     convinced the entire Abhiyana would be a great success.. did we hear
     that phrase Total Quality!!!
     (** AKSHARAM, 8th Cross, II Phase, Girinagar, Bangalore-560085); Tel.
     91-80-661-3052