Poverty

Sfauthor at aol.com Sfauthor at aol.com
Sat Aug 19 21:02:33 UTC 1995

I think the perception of India as a poor country is quite a recent one. As
for the causes of its poverty, both relative and absolute, I don't believe
India's post-colonial economic policies have been mentioned: five-year plans,
emphasis on heavy industry, autarky, and so on. The soviet model.

When was the last time you heard the countries that didn't follow the soviet
model--Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, S. Korea, and now Thailand,
Malaysia, et al--described as poor countries? Many of them were on a par with
India in 1947.