Brahman or Brahmin

mani at srirangam.esd.sgi.com mani at srirangam.esd.sgi.com
Fri Aug 18 17:00:58 UTC 1995

It appears to me that the brahmin/brahman difference is
a south Indian / north Indian one, as I implied before,
with no condescension implied in either. Almost invariably,
south Indian writers use "brahmin". (There are a few exceptions,
such as in the title of  K. Rangachari's monograph
"Sri Vaishnava Brahmans".) "Brahman" I have seen much more often
in the writings of north Indians; I think this reflects the
pronounciation of the word in the spoken English of the
different regions.

Since Western Indologists are more acquanted with north
Indians and north Indian writers than otherwise, it is but
natural that "brahman" is used more often by Western
writers.

Mani