Critique of the West in Indic literature and society

vidya at cco.caltech.edu vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Fri Aug 18 00:38:42 UTC 1995

Every once in a while, INDOLOGY enters into a discussion in which the
non-Indologist Indians get all worked up, embarassed and defensive,
and that ever-present cobra of right-wing fundamentalism raises its
hood.

Dominik says:

> HT also brazenly promotes a dangerous right-wing fundamentalist

> Hindu agenda.  Past editorials have promoted child marriage and are
> often xenophobic.

I don't claim to represent HT or its editors. I don't even read the
publication with any regularity. But I don't think the specific
charges of right-wing fundamentalism and xenophobia really hold. I
haven't read the editorial promoting child-marriage, but let me point
out that child marriage is not necessarily a Hindu thing, much less a
right-wing fundamentalist Hindu thing. The real right-wing Hindutva
fundamentalists in India have other goals in mind. While it is
important to recognize the dangers posed by right-wing
fundamentalists of any religion, it is also important to first
recognize who is really a fundamentalist and who is not.

Yesterday I looked into the home page of HT on the web for the first
time, and read about the temple they are building in Kuai island. The
account of the ceremonies is enough to disprove charges of
xenophobia. In addition to Sivacharya priests from Madras and
Chidambaram, Sivaya Subramuniyaswami had a Hawaiian high-priestess
and Kahuna priests participate with their own rituals. And this, just
because there used to be an old Hawaiian temple at the same site
centuries ago. Hardly evidence of xenophobia, is it?

As I see HT and the Kuai Adheenam, they are just one group among so
many Saiva groups all over the world. They seem to have a wealthy
following in Hawaii and in southeast Asian nations, and that is a
prime reason for whatever clout and influence they may enjoy. HT does
not really represent Hinduism inspite of its "Hindu of the year"
awards. In this matter, they are only about as much Hindu or
non-Hindu as ISKCON is. As for dangerous right-wing fundamentalist
Hindu agenda, it is absolutely no comparison to the right-wing
fundamentalist Christian agenda represented by the rich and
influential Pat Robertson and like-minded individuals and groups in
the continental US.

Regards,

S. Vidyasankar