personalizing the debate

SILK at AC.GRIN.EDU SILK at AC.GRIN.EDU
Mon Sep 19 18:10:49 UTC 1994

I suspect that Dominik is too much a gentleman to respond directly to Mr.
Karanth, and while I can certainly not claim to speak on Dominik's behalf,
I think many on this list will agree with me that labeling his comments
"hate mail" is really crossing a line.  There *is* such a thing as "hate
mail," but I very much doubt whether Dominik has ever authored an example,
and I have absolutely never noticed one authored by HIM on this list!  It
is up to Mr. Karanth's conscience to judge how he considers his own tone in
this discusssion.
        Might I suggest that we try to avoid personalizing this -- or any
other -- debate?  The free flow of ideas is, I have always understood, what
scholarship is (supposed, anyway) to be all about -- and this list has, in
general, been representative of that tradition.  But if INDOLOGY becomes a
forum for politicized rhetoric and personal invictive, those of us who are
here because we enjoy scholarly debate and exchange with our colleages in a
trusting and intellectually honest enviroment might as well all send the
"unsubscribe" message right away.
        Without wanting to usurp the discussion unto myself, I hope I can
close with "enough said?"

Jonathan Silk
SILK at AC.GRIN.EDU

Jonathan Silk