Aryans and Dravidians

BAPAT JB Jayant.B.BAPAT at sci.monash.edu.au
Wed Sep 7 11:55:00 UTC 1994

In connection with my work on Hindu Temple Priests, I am looking for
material on the question of the Aryan invasion, feuds between Aryans
and Dravidians, the north being Aryan and the south Dravidian etc,etc.
The main reason for this is that in my interviews with Brahmin priests
in Maharashtra, I heard again and again that" Shiva being a non Aryan
deity, we Aryan Brahmins do not worship him with the same devotion".
There is thus still a perception amongst northern Brahmins that they
are Aryans.
While I appreciate that the Aryan invasion theory is now discredited,
I have not been able to find good review material which critically
discusses these issues.
Could someone please help me locate such material.
Jayant Bapat

Dr J.B. Bapat                                     Phone (03)9054510
Chemistry Department                              Fax   (03)9054597
Monash University                   e-mailjbbapat at sci.monash.edu.au
Wellington Road
Clayton  VICTORIA  3168 AUSTRALIA