VHP and United Way (fwd)

J.B. Sharma JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Fri Nov 4 21:02:07 UTC 1994

Dear Folks,
 Individual political leanings are a personal imperative, and even
though I may not agree with the words of David Ludden I have no
objection to his points of view. I agree with the observations that
if Dileep Karanth's postings have invoked consistent vitriolic
damning indictment of these brokers of pristine scholarly exchange.
This also renders legitimacy to Dileep's postings, as this
time political stances have been espoused by formal Indological
scholars from reputed institutions. A debate is never complete
without all the points of view being duly considered.

 Here is my point of view on VHP of America; I have been looking for
a place where my son can begin his Hindi and Sanskrit lessons. Last
month I found out that VHP has a temple and cultural center in
Atlanta, along with a "Bal Vihar" where children can learn Hindi and
Sanskrit. VHP-A has cultural shows religious festivities etc, which
help a lot of Indian-American families to maintain their culture
while being very productive members of the new world. So Ludden has
painted me and many others like me as a frothing in the mouth fanatic
and would like to campaign to malign/remove the institution which
allows us a place of fellowship, and my son a place to learn the
memories of his ancestors. To say that this is against the grain of
America is an understatement.

  VHP-A is a purely religious organisation. It consists of Hindu
diaspora in North America and consists of people who wish to preserve
Hindu Dharma in their lives. Not all Hindus following Dharma are
necessarily members of VHP (like myself). It is no diffrent than
the Baptist Convention, World Jewish Congress or any other religious
organization. It is a lie that VHP-A fundraises for violence in
India and can open up a defamation suit. These untruths have been
pushed on some networks, where in the same breath money is solicited
for buying AK-47's, grenades with explicit price lists ! And now,
this has the endorsement from the head of the dept in South Asian
Studies at UPenn !

 Religious violence in India is steeped in its history, and some of
VHP-I 's stances are symptoms of the disease, but not the disease
itself. I do not support the goons who tore down an unused mosque; the
time for heroics was when Babar attacked. Of course, in retaliation
hundreds of beautiful Hindu temples were destroyed in Pakistan and
Bangladesh nary a sound was uttered in the media, or by these brokers
of fairness.

 The Turkish conquest of India perhaps a holocaust unparalelled
in the history of man (Will Durant); a systematic attempt to
annihilate the Hindu culture remained in progress for centuries. In
Modern India, Hindu people have tasted a breath of freedom and
empowerment of destiny after centuries of slavery. The trauma of
being at the recieving end of severe atrocity needs to be exorcised
such that the suppressed rage and grief of centuries does not become a
destructive force. However so long as this halocaust is not openly
discussed, India will continue to be haunted by the cries of the
millions slaughtered over time. A healing purpose similar to this is
served by the Jewish halocaust memorial in Wasington DC. There are
those of course say that this just never happened, and folks of this
ilk deny the Hindu Halocaust as well. The horror of it is that it is
still happening as thousands of Kashmiri pandits have been driven out
of their ancestral land, and I have not heard of any concern for this
event which is the most dangerous to the fabric of Indian society.

 The unsightliness of Indian history is no reflection on the millions
of law abiding and productive Muslims who continue to make
contributions in all spheres Indian life. It is for the well being of
the entire subcontinent that the history of the past thousand years
be clearly visited and publicly discussed. This would go a long way
to defuse the acrimony accumulated over centuries, and scholars such
as on this list have the wherewithall to impart a noble impulse to
that end. But I am coming to see that many scholars of South Asia are
out of touch of the realities on the ground, and are more attached to
a certain paradigms around which revolve peer review, funding,
tenure, promotion etc. These folks get very upset if anything other
than feeding on the cadavers of ancient Indian literature is
discussed.

 Last of all, I do agree with the observation of Peter Claus of the
relevance of scholarly discussions of modern India, as there remains
an organic graft between the past, present, and the future of its
culture. Because of the ancient unbroken traditions traditions of
india are rooted in its past, a group such as this can contribute to
shed light to guide its future. Thanks to Lance Nelson for being the
instigator of the discussion. This forum has introduced me to issues
I would have never known otherwise.

All the best,
J.B. Sharma