National languages

PHILMOS at Vax2.Concordia.CA PHILMOS at Vax2.Concordia.CA
Thu Apr 7 20:28:51 UTC 1994

I have heard many different versions of this story. Answer-man Cecil
Adams dealt with this question in a recent edition of his column
"The Straight Dope". I don't have it any more, but as I recall, Adams'
research showed that there had been a proposal to translate government
documents into German. It did get voted on, but didn't pass -- and
the vote was nowhere near as close as one vote.

Phil Moscovitch
philmos at vax2.concordia.ca

> From THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV 07 1994 Apr GMT 16:58:16
Date: 07 Apr 1994 16:58:16 GMT
From: ALLEN W THRASHER <THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV>
Subject: T.R.V. MURTI'S DEATH DATE

          Does anyone know OFFHAND the death date of  T.  R.  V. Murti, the
          scholar of Buddhism and  Indian philosophy?  I  have referred the
          patron who needs it  to JAOS, JAS, and Philosophy East  and  West
          for obituaries.  I don't have the  time  to  look  in  the stacks
          myself.  I  also suggested he  call  the Center for  the Study of
          World Religions in Harvard.  But  it  anyone knows without having
          to search I would appreciate knowing it.

          Thanks
          Allen W. Thrasher
          Senior Reference Librarian
          Library of Congress
          Washington, DC 20540-4744
          tel. (202) 707-5600
          fax  (202) 707-1724
          Internet: thrasher at mail.loc.gov

          Any opinions expressed are mine and  not those of  the Library of
          Congress or its management.