Unemployment policies

l.m.fosse at easteur-orient.uio.no l.m.fosse at easteur-orient.uio.no
Wed Nov 17 11:35:47 UTC 1993

To all collegues in EC contries:

I have been corresponding with the Norwegian Ministry of Local Government
and Labour about unemployments benefits to scholars who are out of work.
The present policy of the ministry is take away the benefit if a scholar
continues to work on a research project, in spite of the fact that he does
not make any money on it. Norway is now entering into membership
negotiations with the EEC. I would therefore like to know how the
authorities of EC countries behave in this respect. Are unemployed EC
scholars able to continue their research activities (provided they do not
make money on them) without loosing their unemployment benefit? If they
are, I may open fire on the Ministry of Local Government once again!

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Lars Martin Fosse
Department of East European