Bahuvrihi Compounds (fwd)

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Wed May 5 15:54:43 UTC 1993

I agree with Brendan Gillon's reply to the bahuvrihi question, i.e. that
the term is nothing but what it looks like, namely a technical term
of the self-illustrating-example type; cf. modern terms like "bow-wow
word".  (Also old linguistic jokes like "methatasis" and "haplogy".)  Like
the names of other compound types, the term was evidently traditional
and conventional already by Panini's time [note the (non-)definition in
Pa.2.2.23], and we can hardly hope to pin down its origins beyond that.
Some of the other terms are more problematic than "bahuvrihi," especially
"karmadharaya"; see, for example, Edgerton's article in JAOS 72 (1952),
pp.80-1.

Richard Salomon
Asian Languages & Literature
University of Washington